Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches!
Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord!
Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint for hunger at the head of every street.

Lamentations 2:19 ESV


Friday, August 23, 2013

School Clothes

I recently read a blog by a mom writing about purchasing her children new clothing for the coming school year. I remember my mother doing this for my sisters and me, especially for me as I am the oldest.

One year, my last in junior high, we went to a ladies' shop downtown, one I'm not sure we'd ever shopped at previously, at least not together. My mom purchased several dresses for me. This was not the usual because, by this time, there were six of us girls with all but one in school. New clothes were often birthday or Christmas gifts, and they were most likely purchased as clearance or sale items.
 
Frequently, my sisters wore my hand-me-downs and I received ones from older cousins. I have to note that we did enjoy opening those boxes of clothes and sorting through them to see what "treasures" had been given to us. By high school, I sometimes used babysitting earnings to purchase some of my own clothes. Unlike a good friend of mine, I was not handy with patterns and a sewing machine even after Home Economic classes.
 
Others often helped my parents clothe their girls. One aunt in particular would purchase matching dresses for us to wear for Christmas and/or Easter. Here's a photograph taken of us in 1959. Just 3 of us had matching dresses as the fourth had just turned one year old.



Praying moms, in one accord prayer, as demonstrated in the ministry of Moms in Prayer International, we moms help each other cloth our children with the covering of prayer. Together, agreeing in prayer, we dress them to weather the storms of life. Figuratively, using Scripture to cover them with appropriate clothing, i.e. socks, shirts, pants/skirts; and then our specific requests are like covering them with necessary outer garments, i.e., mittens, hats, scarves, galoshes, and warm coats.
 
Can you get the picture of several moms standing around a child and through their prayers of agreement clothing that girl or boy from head to toe?
 
This type of prayer—agreement prayer—in fact is powerful because Jesus said so. I love how the Amplified Bible puts what Jesus said in Matthew 18:19, "Again I tell you, if two of you on earth agree (harmonize together, make a symphony together) about whatever [anything and everything] they may ask, it will come to pass and be done for them by My Father in heaven." In conversational, agreement prayer, that is what we are doing.
 
Whatever school my children attended and even now as adults, that was and is their most significant clothing—prayer. It is something that couldn’t be discarded on the playground, lost on the bus, or left at home. My Father sees my children wearing these clothes every time He looks at them.
 
Who is helping you clothe your child?
 
Who are you helping clothe their child?
 
Check out Moms in Prayer International at www.MomsInPrayer.org. If there isn't a group for your child's school, it is simple and easy to begin one. I'd be glad to help.
 
 
 
“Take this most seriously:
A yes on earth is yes in heaven; a no on earth is no in heaven.
What you say to one another is eternal. I mean this.
When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it,
my Father in heaven goes into action.
And when two or three of you are together because of me,
you can be sure that I’ll be there.”
Matthew 18:18-20 (MSG)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment