Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches!
Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord!
Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint for hunger at the head of every street.

Lamentations 2:19 ESV


Monday, September 23, 2013

"And It was So"

My Precepts group is studying the book of Genesis this year. One phrase that stood out from this past week's lesson in Genesis 1 was "and it was so." In context, it always followed, "Then God said…"

The Hebrew word is ken. It can be translated so, therefore, or thus or even right, just, honest, true, or veritable.
 
Gesenius' Lexicon notes that it is the same as speaking well—in the same manner it is spoken, it is done, even giving the sense of immediacy.
 
It answers one question that science has yet to be convinced of. That is, the speed of light, going one way from a star to the earth, is pretty much instantaneous. That has to be if Genesis 1:14-15 is true, and our God doesn't lie. There are even some scientists who have research that supports this.
 
 
[Photo via Internet Resources.]
 
But, what does this have to do with prayer?
 
When God speaks, His words have power beyond comprehension. When His words go forth, nothing can stop their effect. Their power is immediate to do whatever it is that He sent them out to do.
 
Let me tell you, my words don't even come close! What about yours?
 
But I can trust the Lord God that when He speaks, it is as good as done. And that is why I find speaking His words over my children powerful, so much more powerful than any words I can speak.
 
As the Lord told Zechariah, "Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit." (Zechariah 4:6) Nothing I can say or do has the power of the Lord unless it is through His Spirit.
 
Yet, as I abide in the Lord and His words abide in me, I can ask in His name and in His promises through His Spirit, and I have His assurance that He will act. (John 15:7)

 
So, when I pray God's breathed-out, written words, a mountain shall become as flat as a plain, as the Lord goes on to say in Zechariah 4:7. That is the power of the Word of God. It may tarry, as He told Habakkuk, but it will surely come to fruition. (Habakkuk 2:3),
 
Praying moms, we pray and then we wait, living in faith, for the Lord's "and it was so."
 
We can hang our hope on His words and not be disappointed. That is because in His words we know truth, salvation, strength, and life.
 
Amen! So be it!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment