Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches!
Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord!
Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint for hunger at the head of every street.

Lamentations 2:19 ESV


Monday, September 22, 2014

Who is Like You, Lord?

Years ago, in my energetic days as a VBS Director, one of the songs the children sang was a praise song inspired by Moses' words in Exodus 15.

Who is Like You, Lord?

I have read the words, I have heard the stories,
How You rescued baby Moses, how You set Your people free.
I have read the words, I have heard the stories,
How You led them through the desert,
Howe You rolled back the Red Sea.

Who is like You, Lord? Who is pure and holy?
Who is awesome in power? Who can do the things that You do?

I have read the words, I have heard the stories,
How you healed the lame and blind,
How You quieted the sea.
I have read the words, I have heard the stories,
How You died and rose again,
How You saved my life for me.

No one's like You, Lord! No one's so pure and holy!
No one is awesome in power!
No one does the things that you do!

[Words & music by Judy & Marc Roth]

These are verses of praise to our Lord. Praise is a vital part of speaking with God. It isn't so much that praise feeds God's ego—that's not true. It's because praise feeds our spirits.

When we concentrate in prayer on praise, we begin to soak in who God is. Praise helps us turn our focus onto God and off ourselves. Praise displaces fear, anxiety, and worry with trust as we realize there is no one comparable to our God. Praise changes our perspective, which changes our attitude and our actions. That means we can act out our faith in any situation.

I challenge you, praying mom, to take time to hear from your God through His Word as to who He is. Then, lean back into praise. Allow God's everlasting arms to envelope your heart and mind. His faithfulness will then surround you and lift you up!

There is no one like the God of Jeshurun,
Who rides the heavens to help you,
And in His excellency on the clouds.
The eternal God is your refuge,
And underneath are the everlasting arms;
He will thrust out the enemy from before you,
And will say, ‘Destroy!’
Deuteronomy 33:26-27 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment